Thursday, May 24, 2007

Matt Rules Everything

The title has nothing to do with this post, but Matt told me to do it, peer pressure can get the best of you. Now I'm posting this blog to talk about how the society in 1984 was taken over by the Party. In my last post kind of touched on this subject but not in detail. After reading up to the point I am in the book I still cant imagine how the people fell to a government like this. I mentioned peer pressure in the beginning of this post for a few reasons. One of the reasons was because of Matt and his need to have me put him in my title. The other was that I feel that i can link peer pressure to 1984. I still don't know why or how they were taken over but I think it might have involved peer pressure. I say this because when the Party took over maybe a group of people wanted this new government. From there on out they probably convinced everyone that it was good and the better way of life. If your friends want to go to a certain place and you don't but everyone else does, you're most likely going to go to that place. In this case it probably wasn't a bad form of peer pressure but it was peer pressure none the less. Do you think that this could've been the type of situation also?

1 comment:

Miller said...

Shane: You make some fine points here, and I'm sorry you fell prey to Matt's whims. You mention peer pressure, but I think it goes a little deeper than that. What is it about our human nature that would allow us to be controlled in such a complete fashion?

Point to some things the government does to attain and maintain this control. Then you could take this idea beyond simple peer pressure and into an examination of the mass scale of control shown in this novel.

Good job and keep thinking.